New to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rafter3ranch, Jan 5, 2017.

1. rafter3ranch

rafter3ranch New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Linda in Red Oak,Texas. My husband at 75 decided to start raising chickens. I have to admit I was against it But it is alot of fun. Any tips for the new one in the flock?

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hi welcome to BYC. Are there any specific questions you have?

3. rafter3ranch

rafter3ranch New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    How much feed is too much? Mine seem to eat like it's the end of the chow line or is this normal.

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Linda, nice to hear you are enjoying the chickens too!

Check out the articles in the Learning Center...they cover all topics including feeding.

Good luck and have fun!

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC, Linda! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Chicken raising is a ton of fun, yes. We're so glad you decided to join our community. [​IMG]

Definitely check out our learning center. It's a wonderful place to start. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

As for the feeding, as long as you aren't feeding them treats or people food as their main diet, they should eat as much as their bodies need. In the colder months, they will consume more feed to keep themselves warm. Table scraps and other treats should only take up 10% of their daily diet. Do you hand feed them or use an automatic feeder?

1 person likes this.
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Linda [​IMG] Welcome!

As N F C has suggested, the Learning Centre is a great starting point and Mountain Peeps has given you some good tips.

You might want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Have fun with your flock and getting to know each of their individual and quirky chickenalities.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Linda, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I concur with the above - some reading in the Learning Center is the best way to accelerate your learning curve. [​IMG] You'll be an old hand in no time. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Linda , very nice to meet you. Well to the Backyard chickens flock. What breeds of chicken do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by