New to BYC

FlocksOfFluff

Songster
May 27, 2020
Raleigh, NC
I have been around chickens all my life. My mom loves Buff Orpingtons so we have had several of those and occasionally the odd pretty chick for me or a sibling. We have moved twice recently, once a few years ago and then again a few weeks ago. The house in between we were only allowed a few hens, and they were all killed by predators or given away. Once we had three mixed chicks and four ducks, but some how they all died too. The luck has not been good. Recently we hatched two chicks. At about four weeks old, we decided to put them in a bird cage in the coop and somehow a massive snake snuck in the coop and through the bars and strangled one chick. The other has been inside, completely spoiled while the coop gets predator proofed. We have gotten two small chicks since then, a RIR and a buff Orpington cross. We plan on having 20-ish hens and a rooster or two.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
It certainly seems you've had a bad run with predators. Make sure there are no openings into the coop larger than 1/2" that aren't covered in 1/2" hardware cloth, lots of ventilation and a predator apron and they should be safe at night. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom