New to byc

bmfenn

Chirping
Aug 6, 2020
New Jersey Shore
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
New, as of 6/16

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
Light Brahma
Jersey Blue
Jersey Gem

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Their personalities

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Hunting, Motorcycles

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
2 kids, 1 on Autism Spectrum. She's the reason for the chickens. She wanted them for her birthday, and we've read how they can be therapeutic.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

Google, a few months, figured it was about time.

So my 6-year-old daughter with autism became obsessed with baby chicks this spring. So we decided that we would get her some chicks for her birthday. I built a small coop using plans found on Home Depot garden club, with some modifications
20200603_204227.jpg
20200606_173022.jpg
20200610_060911.jpg
We have a bi-level style house with a deck off of the second story so the coop and run were built under the deck in the unused space. Luckily, I was actually able to build the coop itself for only around $60 using "purple marked" or damaged wood from my local Home Depot, and got some oops paint from Lowe's for the color. As the area where the run is an old concrete slab we have sand down in the run area, and pine shavings in the coop.
20200728_122145.jpg
20200728_122117.jpg

Back
Top Bottom