New to BYC

jimmyzhan

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
Hi,

WI'm new to BYC and just wanted to say hello.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I got started back in 2018. We got 7 chicks from tractor supply (New Hampshire Reds). However they were taken by weasels. We got another batch in 2019, and they were also taken by predators. We got a third batch in 2020, Rhode Island Reds, from tractor supply. This time we had a silky rooster. In 2021, I hatched a bunch of chickens from the silky and Rhode Island’s, and got a bunch more from a farm in Minnesota (Brahma, ameraucana, Cochins, Wyandottes). We had 40 chickens at one point. We had these chickens until recently when we sold the house in the country side and moved to the city. We sent them to our friend’s chicken retirement home.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
6 chicks. I still need to sex them, and probably send the roosters to a sanctuary.

(3) What breeds do you have?
The 6 right now are 1/4 silky (paternal grandpa), 1/4 Rhode Island (paternal grandma), and various moms (Brahma, Cochin, ameraucauna, Rhode Island, Wyandotte, and mixed ones).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Chickens make nice pets! They are beautiful and they give eggs. I also like to experiment on hybridizing the breeds and create new breeds.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I am a metrology engineer and build a lot of measurement and control systems for work. So I’m working on building various functional devices for our chickens!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We are a family of four, plus an English mastiff and 3 cats. We lived in rural area for a few years (and got into chickens), but now moved to the city. Still hoping to raise chickens, just fewer.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
google! I had to ask a question about my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom