New to BYC :)

easterhomestead

Hatching
May 8, 2015
We are new to the website and new to backyard chickens in general. We have 4 feathered ladies; two rhode island reds and two barred rocks - Wendy, Cherry, Honeywell, and Beulah (I swear these names make sense if you've ever seen the movie, Porky's).
My husband just finished our coop and we moved the girls in last night. We were so excited with the creation of our coop! We snagged an old creep feeder at an auction and converted it into our coop. So far raising these ladies has been nothing but fun! Can't wait for the first egg! :)

Is your converted coop metal? It looks like that from the photo. It is going to need some serious ventilation, especially if you live in a hot climate. You may want to check out the coop section for ideas and advice on just how much ventilation is needed. As for space, you need 4-5 sg.feet per bird inside a coop and 10 sg.per bird in the outside run.

Crowded chickens are crabby, at the low end they feather pick, mid range they bully, high end, they can resort to cannibalism.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thanks for posting the pics. I love your chickens' names. Drumstick diva has given you some good advice. Also, if you have any predators in your area such as weasels, rats, or snakes, you should cover that chain link fencing in hardware cloth as these type of predators can squeeze through the openings in the chain link mesh. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Very nice pics! Thanks for sharing. I'm with Michael on liking the names you've picked out for your flock! I've have five hens named Gracie, Sunny, Daisy, Quanie and Rosie. (I love names! LOL) And yes the wait for the first egg is very tortuous but so rewarding in the end!

Good luck with your flock and feel free to ask any questions. Glad you joined the community.

Back
Top Bottom