New to candling PLZ HELP

AHenry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 3, 2014
SC, USA
My Coop
My Coop
Newbie mistake. Accidently posted to the wrong place. Reposted to what I think is the right place. Don't know how to delete this one.

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you joined the flock. Your right high temperatures are more likely to kill an embryo than cool temperatures. But don't give up hope yet, your red spider web you described sounds to me like normal veining developing in the early stages of incubation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/
The above link is for the learning centre, in the hatching and raising chick section of it there are some great pictures of eggs being candled and the various stages of incubation. They are a great way of comparing your eggs too them.
Also if you could get some pics of your eggs being candled and post them in the incubating section of the forum I'm sure you will get some answer on your eggs development.

Good luck with your eggs :frow

Thank you! :)
I realised I posted it to the wrong section so I reposed to what I think is the right one.
I decided not to give up on them. (I say that like I even could. LoL Giving up is not my strong suit.)
I prepared my incubator just in case eggs really do explode so as to catch the "egg bomb shrapnel" just in case.
It would probably be easier with pics, but the camera on my phone isn't picking up what I see.
Based on candling pics I have found on the net, it looks like development, but the many sources saying a red ring means a dead baby made me uncertain. I dunno what the decay process looks like, so I thought it best to ask.
I am still learning how to navigate this site.
Do you know if there are any documentations of the decay process on here, so I know what to look for?
Also, I plan to update the thread with any changes so that others with the same "red ring confusion" will know, too.
Meanwhile, I have to try to find a camera that can catch this.
Thanks, again.

The red ring does not always mean the ring of death!! I personally don't throw anything away until at least day 14 of candling. I mark unsure eggs and leave them I smell the incubator often for bad smells and if something smells dodgy I will check my unsure eggs. I only candle day 7, 14 and 18 that way you can really see the development and it's easier to differentiate between them and the quitters that have stopped developing. The candling pics in the learning centre do show a blood ring. Also if you put your question in the search many threads will come up on bad/quitter eggs.
Sally sunshine has a great article on incubation "Hatching eggs 101" it has lots of extra links on pretty much everything.

The batch before these, that I think are cooked, are still in the incubator. They don't stink, yet. I want to be certain they are dead before I remove them. Maybe I am waiting on a miracle, but I'm not sure I could handle finding out that even one had survived the temp spike but died because I assumed it was already dead. 2 of them have shown movement the day following the spike, but not since. In a couple days, it will be the 21 day mark. As long as they don't stink, explode, or show obvious signs of death, I will give them that lil bit of chance.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Good luck with your incubation!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom