New to chicken lingo...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NewChickyMommy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. NewChickyMommy

NewChickyMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    What are red/black sex links?? What is the difference between a Bantam and a Brahma? From my understanding a Bantam has many colors/breeds that come with it and Bantam itself is not really one single breed?? I am very new to this and had to google what "EE" meant [​IMG]
    Thank you!

2. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    [​IMG]

A bantam is a small sized chicken. Many large fowl breeds also have a bantam version that look the same but are simply smaller. Some breeds of bantams don't have a large fowl version and only come in the small size.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    And some largefowl breeds do not have bantam counterparts [​IMG]

There are many, many breeds of chickens. Brahma is one of those breeds, and it comes in both largefowl and bantam.

Sex-links are a cross-breedwhere you can identify the gender of the chicks at hatching by their appearance. Black sex-links are made using the barring gene: breed a barred hen to a non-barred cock, and the barred offspring will all be male. Barring on a chick is indicated with a white head spot. Those with no spot will be female.

Red/gold sex-links use the silver/gold gene. Breed a silver hen to a gold/red male and the silver (white-looking) chicks will all be male, and the reddish/yellow chicks will all be female. This one you need to make sure that neither of the parents are white or carry white as that can make ID of chick gender impossible to tell.

4. NewChickyMommy

NewChickyMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    Thank you! I really appreciate you guy explaining that to me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by