1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chicken raising...loving it but feeling a little insecure.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Heather, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Heather

Heather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    East Nassau, NY
    My husband, myself and three kids have 8 chickens. Three Bard Rock, two Rhode Island Red and three white leghorn. They will be 3 months old on the 27th of July.

We are now feeding them "Grower" since they have completed the medicated "baby chicken" food. This was at the instruction of the local Agway. When do we switch to "layer" food?

Please excuse my ignorance....we are trying to learn as we go. We are all having a wonderful time with our new "pets" but since we are SO new, I feel a little embarrassed at the lack of knowledge.

I am depending on this awesome website to really help us!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Glad you're enjoying your chickens and the forum. Don't change them over to layer until they begin to lay. As soon as you see that first egg, it's time. Some begin to switch them over slowly by mixing the food at about 18 weeks, and that's fine, too.

3. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    I've only been posting here a short time myself and am also relatively new to keeping chickens. But from what I've seen so far, the first person who responded is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable here.

Heed the SpeckledHen!

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!!

Please don't feel bad, everyone of us have been where you are. None of us first got into chickens knowing all there is to know. The only dumb question is the one not asked. So, please feel at home, we don't bite. (well at least most of us don't) [​IMG]

You'll want to start layer feed once they reach around 18 weeks old, my calculations put that at around 4 1/2 months. Of course, if you find an egg before then, start them sooner. But you'll know they're getting ready to lay when the girls combs turn bright red, they often will squat when you approach them, and they start going in the nest box and rearranging the bedding. That's when it's time to get excited!!! [​IMG]

5. Heather

Heather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    East Nassau, NY
    Thanks for your help! I look forward to the "laying"!

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:That's exactly right. Whenever I have a question I hope that Speckledhen responds because it seems she has a lot of experience. I do appreciate all responses though. Everyone on this site is very helpful and nice.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You guys are too much, LOL. Take everything they say about me with a grain of salt, Heather! I just learned like everyone else. I'm glad I've been helpful in a small way. There are many experienced chicken-keepers here, trust me. I often look to them for help. [​IMG]

8. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Heather:

This site is wonderful. I have asked what I thought were the lamest Qs and everyone is always so supportive and helpful. Enjoy your chickens!

9. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Wolfpacker said, "Heed the SpeckledHen!"

I couldn't agree more! All hail the Speckled one!

In all seriousness, Heather, you've come to the right place for great advice. My pullets are 21 weeks now, and they've been laying for about 3 weeks. It's nice to be able to feed ONE feed again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by