New to chicken raising

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RCinNM, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:40 AM.

1. RCinNM

RCinNM In the Brooder

Wednesday
    Ojo Feliz, NM
    Hi Everyone!

My wife and I bought a small chicken coop from Tractor Supply thinking we’re only going to have 8 chickens or so. We kept adding to our flock, so I purchased a large coop that was advertised locally. At this time, we have 7 hens and 16 chicks. We have: Rhode Island Red, Light Brahma, Jersey Giant, Buff Orpington, white Leghorn, Java, Americauna, black and gold laced Wyandotte, Cornish Rock, Barred Rock, Crested Polish, Dominique and others. We have a Red Heeler mix and two cats. All our animals are female. The dog and one of the cats love watching the chickens and will round them up when I want them back in their yard. My dog will deny this, but I’ve seen her sleeping behind the coop (in the shade) with a R.I. red snuggled up to her sleeping. My cats do not bother them.

2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crowing

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! Sounds like a great little chicken farm! Love the dog sleeping with the RIR!!! :love

3. slordaz

slordaz Songster

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    I still keep an eye on mine, but sounds like your dog will be guarding them for ya. My chickens use my 3 labs ,which are usually bird dogs but they are were given task of protecting them when I started and main dog is a lab/Australian shepherd so took more after working dog class and is the boss so just kept reinforcing they are to be protected and he makes the other 2 behave, taking a nap out in the yard as perches lol

4. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello @RCinNM ! welcome to BYC :frow
    How sweet - can't wait to see a photo of your dog and chicken cuddling :pop

5. slordaz

slordaz Songster

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    They don't cuddle, they take a nap and chickens think they are for perching and pecking on lol, but the dogs are pretty tolerant been together with the flock for 3 years as they come and go from coop at will. I should not type after coffee has worn off lol

6. RCinNM

RCinNM In the Brooder

Wednesday
    Ojo Feliz, NM
    I’ll post pics of the coop once it’s complete. Currently working on predator proofing around the run. Next will be adding a ceiling to keep the hawks, falcons and bald eagles out.

7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

9. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    It's love to see a picture of your dog sleeping with the RIR.

10. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Nice to have you here! Your dog’s secret is safe with us ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: