New to Chicken Raising

Ranch_Girl

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
I'm learning to raise chickens in Central California and need help! I have two chicks, a few weeks old I think by now, and they have become little piggies. If I don't watch them, they eat soooo much that they get these little bulges in their necks. This has only started the past couple days, we've had them for about a week and a half now. Anyways, they are the sweetest little creatures, but I can't seem to find any guide that says how much the chicks should eat...Please help me! About to go in for a cuddle session with them...I love holding them, but if anyone has some words of wisdom, I would greatly appreciate.

frow.gif
Welcome from another newbie! Sorry I don't have any advice...I have had other challenges but not any like yours.

I was confused by this when I first got chickens too:) The bulge is actually their crop, where they store food before digesting it. So it is GOOD that they are filling up their crop. It's all perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Chicks should have food and water available at all times and allowed to eat as much as they'd like. Good luck with your new babies!

Give them Chick Grit or sand with their food. It will help the food go through their crops more smoothly.
Chickens need to have food available anytime they are awake...especially young ones.

Those little cuties will grow SOOO fast. Let them be piggies. Let them eat all they want. Plan on refilling their food and water several times a day. If you want some real fun, get some crickets at the pet store and give them to your chicks. Its hysterical, and healthy....

They also like the regular sized (not king sized) mealworms, but they don't have to chase those, so they aren't as much fun to watch.

The chick starter you buy at the feed store should be their main food, but there are all kinds of treats you can get for them. My chicks love cooked oatmeal and yogurt, but again, those are just treats.

Have fun!! And Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom