New to chickens and BYC

pjhill

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2019
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes. I'm 60 y/o and have owned chickens for 3 years.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
5 - one "flew the coop" before i could get her wings clipped and was eaten by our neighbors dog...

(3) What breeds do you have? That is my first question! I know that 2 are Barred Rocks, but am unsure of the other 3. I have a picture. Could i get some help here?

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Eggs for us, and manure for my garden. I also enjoy "Chicken TV", opening the gates from the coop to the backyard in the evening and just watching them pick thru my yard and eventually go back home. It's a great distressor!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening, chess, reading, kayaking, guitar.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My wife and i have grown all of our children (8 between the two of us!) and now grow veggies and chickens. I retired from the USAF and now serve a non-profit foundation. She is a CNA and has an AMAZING green thumb!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I heard of it the first year i was researching my new "guests" on the internet. I'm not normally agrarian, but consider it a more natural way to live. Very few of my friends have chickens, so i have been learning as i go. Thank you for your help in the past... i guess that's why i joined!
Also, i'm looking for help identifying my new birds.

Back
Top Bottom