New to chickens and could use advice!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmirnms, Oct 11, 2016.

1. dmirnms

dmirnms New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    [​IMG]i have 3 English Orph pullets that approximately 20 week old. We have had them for almost 2 week. They all are eating well and seem to be acting normally, but I'm new to chickens so I'm sure I know very little about normal. I noticed yesterday that one of them have a odd looking whitish area to the right eye and a pinkish bump to the right beak. Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at and how to treat?? Any advice would be much appreciated!! none of the others have them. I included the right and left side for comparison. Thanks in advance [​IMG][/IMG]

2. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Hi and welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Eye infections are pretty common in chickens, its probably a bacterial infection or fungus around her eye. Those chickens can be dirty at times, I would suggest taking some time out of your day and cleanse it for a little bit; don't worry it wont take too long!. Start by using a damp cloth with lukewarm water, be sure its a fresh towel with no soap or any other chemicals on it, then apply it gently around the chickens eye. I would suggest to research into poultry medicine that treats infested eyelids on chickens. Lastly don't worry, you said your chicken is normal she is eating and drinking if she wasn't it would be a problem but your chicken seems to be on the safe side. This could even be simply a genetic defect, I do recommend using the Save-A-Chick powder medication in your chickens water. It's basically vitamins that make your chickens stronger; I use it all the time even when my chickens aren't sick! In conclusion I wouldn't worry to much since she is eating and drinking and walking, but if you are still worried look up poultry vets near you or people you know with a vast poultry experience to examine your chicken.

Have a nice night
    Sincerely~Sunshine Ducky
    [​IMG]

3. dmirnms

dmirnms New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    Thank you for the advice.I did wash the area with A damp washcloth but nothing seemed to wipe off. I noticed that she had another whitish that area under her eye that seemed a little bigger this morning. This is a better picture. [​IMG]She still seems to be feeling fine, eating and drinking well I did put some Nurti drench the water today. I guess I'll just continue to watch make sure it doesn't seem any worse. Thanks again for your advice!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Check inside her beak to make sure there are no lumps forming in there. It could be a bit of Fowl Pox or possible canker starting.
    Apply some Vetericyn Eye Gel or Terramycin Eye Ointment to the scabs at the eye. For the beak you can apply some iodine on the "bump" scab. If there is any scabs, don't peel them off, let them fall off on their own.

Clean and sanitize your water stations.

Eating and drinking is good, so keep an eye on her to make sure she continue to do so.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/63/fowl-pox-pox-avian-pox/
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by