New to Chickens and loving BYC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wildroses986, May 18, 2009.

1. Wildroses986

Wildroses986 New Egg

May 14, 2009
    Tucson
    Hello all! I've been lurking and reading as much as I can get away with for the past few days and thought I'd post and introduce myself.

I am brand new to chickens, I've never had any before. I've been wanting to get a backyard flock for about a year now and we're finally buying our own home and are excited to get a flock started once we've settled in.

I am interested in layers, not meat chickens. I've been researching different breeds and trying to figure out the best match for me. So far I'm the most interested in Easter Eggers (although my local feed store is calling them Ameraucanas and I'm pretty sure they don't buy their chicks from a breeder, not sure what they're actually selling?)

Found BYC.com on an internet search and I'm so thrilled that I did!

I live with my partner and 2 dogs, 1 cat and 2 horses in Tucson, Arizona. Other than researching chickens, I play rugby and roller derby and enjoy training my Thoroughbred mare for barrel racing. I work in a skin diagnostic laboratory as a histotech.

Looking forward to everyone's input and advice on starting this new endeavor!

Thanks!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

It's beautiful around Tucson. Good luck getting chickens.

Imp

3. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    I just got started with chickens this year - a great book is Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens - it talks about the different types of breeds to consider when making a decision about what to get. I got a whole variety of different chicks to try out and wanted friendly/docile chickens (was ok if they didn't produce as many eggs as some of the high production ones). While the Araucanas, Polish, Mottled houdan and sicilian buttercup are the most engaging chicks, they are all awesome so far (ordered them through Estes Hatchery online).

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

5. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]
    from California
    my sweetest pullets are hatchery austrolorps. I know that they are not much to look at they aren't even the right colors for the breed but they are easy to handle and should give me a lot of eggs too.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

7. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

8. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Sonoma County Northern California!

You'll have so much fun! muell112 is right..Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is an awesome book, loaded with lots of good information.

We've got 5 "toddlers" (about 17 weeks old now), 3 buff orpingtons and 2 ameracaunas as well as our handsome brown leghorn rooster and ameracauna pullet who is laying light green delicious eggs! Everyone gets along (for the most part) and have their own personalities.
    They are such fun!

Good luck!

Val

9. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Welcome: [​IMG] From:Ohio

You'll figure out what type of chicken(s) you want in your back yard....

Just keep reading and cross referencing on different breeds...

Plus...all the help you will find on BYC

There are many great breeds out there.

The Best To You

10. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from NH/ME.
    You will find alot of help and good information here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by