New to chickens and loving every minute of it in Kentucky

moonflowers

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Louisville, KY
Hello,
I just ordered 10 chicks in the mail that I am splitting with a friend. When they came in though there were 12 chicks (one was the rare breed that came free with our order). Through other discussions on here I have discovered that the extra chick is a rooster, which is unfortunate since I live in the city. So though I originally thought I'd have 3 Buff Orpington pullets and 2 Barred Rock pullets with whatever extra they threw in I now may only have four pullets. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Feathers (my light bantam they threw in) is a female. Anyway, just how much trouble are roosters and how noisy are they. I got the chicks for eggs and for pets and I don't know if I can bring myself to eat Domino (the Barred Rock Roo). Also, I was planning on a 4x8 coop. If I end up with 7 chickens total would that be too small? Thanks for your help, this is a great site!

Here's my little Domino (the roo) with Pixie in the background
Dominoandpixie.jpg

Here's my kitty sleeping through a chick invasion.
ChickandAlexander.jpg

Here's my lovely lively little bunch in their brooder.
chicks.jpg

Here are Pixie and Buttercup exploring the outdoors on a beautiful day.

chicksoutside.jpg

what lovely pictures,

they do look so cute, and as for the sex of the chicks bon't be too anxious yet.

It is really difficut to tell teh sex of them at such a young age.

I don't know anything about it but I know there are plenty of people on the site thatwill be able to help you out as they get older.

If you are in a city, check your laws as far as roosters go. believe me they are loud. We used to have a few around my area and the local council has now banned them completely.

But for now enjoy the experience and ask for some help withfinding out what they are and good luck to you.

Jena.

If it does turn out to be a rooster, and if he's a barred rock, you will probably fall in love with him - Barred Rocks have fun personalities - in my experience even the roos are sweet (usually).

But yeah, it is hard to tell at this age - you should know by about three or four weeks, though, his comb will be bigger and more red.

meri

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida. The chickies are just adorable. Yes, you will have a ball raising them. Like someone else stated, Barred Rocks are the best, don't know about roos though, can't have them for sure!!
Anyway, enjoy!

Hmmm... we will have to see. I think I am going to have a hard time getting rid of him, I am in love
wink.png
. I am so addicted to this site and the chickens already I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. It has been fine this week since it is spring break but I go back to school tomorrow (I'm a high school teacher) and am finding it difficult to get my lessons completed because I somehow go from doing my work to this site without even meaning to! Not to mention my little ladies who are in their cage in front of me. Oh my how am I going to balance school, garden, chickens, and this site for the rest of the school year??
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom