New to chickens and need some gender help please.

JanetLM

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
I have recently decide to get a few chickens for the backyard and did some research beforehand and decided on Plymouth Rocks...I read how to sex them and tried to pick them out based on head spot, leg wash & overall color...however as they get older all of that seems to be changing. Please look at my pics and tell me what you think as I can only keep one roo
These chicks are 2 weeks old today...Im thinking #1 & 3 are roos..#2 is a hen and I have another that looks exactly like #2
Chick #1

Chick #2

Chick #3

I usually judge mine on feather growth (especially in the tail area) and stance. Two and three look like pullets, and one might be a pullet too, but that comb is awfully large. Sometimes the girls will get a pretty large comb, so if it stays yellow, you should have a pullet. If it's red or bright pink at four weeks, then it's most likely a male.

Thank you very much...I sure hope there is only 1 male. At what age can I pretty much be certain of the gender? I was initially wanting 4 hens...so I want to add another or 2 based on the sex of these 4. And would it be hard to introduce 2 more now?

I can usually tell by about 6-8 weeks depending on how red their face gets. I think by three months, you should know for sure, unless they crow earlier. I have week old chicks with my month old chicks right now, and they are doing fine. The youngest are fiesty little things lol

Back
Top Bottom