New to chickens but no eggs yet??

chaneljade

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Guthrie, OK
I got a wild hair up my butt and said that I wanted to raise chickens for eggs, here in The middle of the city. So my husband used some online directions from Ana White for building a chicken coop. It's about 4 x 6' with 4 nesting boxes and a couple boards up high for roosting. They have a 10 foot run connected but "free range" on our 1/2 acre all day. I have three buffs you are 22 weeks old and 2 Delawares who are 20 weeks old. They've been on laying crumbles since 12 weeks old. We give them snacks and scratch, clean water. They are pretty friendly with us. Am I doing something wrong because we have no eggs yet?!

Last edited:
My first batch of chickens we got our first egg from an Easter egger at 20 weeks exactly. My next batch the hens made me wait until they were 25 weeks old. This current batch started at 19 weeks. Everyone is different. It was one of my buff orpingtons who gave me my first egg. You just need to be patient. Out of 11 hens, I only think one or two are laying and they are 21 weeks old now. It takes time.

I got a wild hair up my butt and said that I wanted to raise chickens for eggs, here in The middle of the city. So my husband used some online directions from Ana White for building a chicken coop. It's about 4 x 6' with 4 nesting boxes and a couple boards up high for roosting. They have a 10 door run connected but "free range" on our 1/2 acre all day. I have three buffs you are 22 weeks old and 2 Delawares who are 20 weeks old. We give them snacks and scratch, clean water. They are pretty friendly with us. Am I doing something wrong because we have no eggs yet?!

Be patient. They are still a bit on the young side. You will see some changes in both their behavior and their appearance when they are getting close to laying. Combs, waddles, and faces will get really red as they approach point of lay. When you put your hand on their back, they will squat in submission. They will probably start checking out the nest boxes a couple weeks before they lay. Many birds don't lay until 26 weeks or older, and if you are in a hot climate, they may wait until the weather cools down a bit. It will happen, give it time! Good luck with your new flock, and welcome to BYC.

Ok. I was under the impression they were kind of like clock-work...20 weeks on the dot, out pops an egg LOL. I'm going to work on being patient but I am so excited as I walk out there every morning to unlock the coop, expecting an egg, and then so disappointed when there is none.

It has been five months with my wife's flock and no eggs yet! The weather is starting to turn and debating whether to add a light bulb to the coop, not for heat, but hours of daylight. She had 7 hens, she thought, but it turned out to be five and two roosters! All are healthy and content in their Red Coop Inn.
RI Reds, Buffs, Easter Egger and Black Astro, but no eggs...
Thanks for all you help over the first year, especially the advice to build our own coop!!! Pictures will follow...Thanks

Back
Top Bottom