New to chickens from Portland, OR

welcome aboard!! did you get a price on that permit for more birds?
yippiechickie.gif

welcome aboard!! did you get a price on that permit for more birds?
yippiechickie.gif

Yeah, it is a one time fee of $31, the permit is indefinite as long as you don't have any complaints.

Edit to add: are you in Portland proper with all those birds? Had any issues with neighbors?

Last edited:
I am in PDX proper. No complaints- my neighbors love the fresh eggs.
yesss.gif
I also keep the coop/run clean. the only time it does smell is when I clean deep into the soil.My 5 black aussies are replacing some of my older hens that are slowing down in production and one that behaves badly.

From PDX as well! This is my first time raising chickens too! We have four in the brooder at six weeks right now and holding on till week eight with this crappy weather pattern we are in until they go out. 1 Ameracauna, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 RIR, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte. Coop and run are in and waiting! I agree about learning a lot from this site - creative watering and feeding ideas abound! You really don't need a permit for more unless you potentially have uptight neighbors. The permit is just a legal way to protect you from a potential lawsuit. If your neighbors are cool just keep them posted and answer to any of their complaints and offer eggs to everyone. My friends neighbor has 15 without a permit and no one cares.
Gonna be an awesome spring and summer!

d

I definitely have seen a lot of yards with more than 3, and I haven't heard of many people getting called in. Though I have heard of a few people that were egregiously over the limit with ducks, turkeys, chickens, etc. who got their birds taken...I won't be going that far. I may add a couple hens and am researching getting a dwarf goat for my backyard, which would be pretty interesting and greatly simplify my lawn mowing.

blacktrout, looks like a handy double haul you've got going in the picture. I am racking my brain to place the river, I want to say middle fork willamette but the trees don't look quite right. don't feel obliged to share :) I grew up fly fishing for trout but since I've moved out here all I can bring myself to do is swing flies for steelhead with a two-hander. Have you done that yet?

Here's to the end of this pineapple express! I need to get building :)

PDXcluck, I grew up fly fishing for trout on upper reaches of the Willamette that I will not share the location of as it feels to be the last bastion free from the hordes! Where is it you grew up fly fishing? In the picture, however, I was spending some quality time on the Sandy trying to bounce some fly's off the noses of Steelhead. I only use ancient rods for Steelhead and in many situations when I have been around people casting spey rods I can still beat them or come pretty close. Besides it always feels like I've earned my beer at the end of the day - even is as usual I don't catch anything:) I much prefer a smaller river with extra light tackle and wild blood thirsty trout any day!

Was so nice seeing some blue sky crack through this afternoon! You could see people poking their heads out all over the neighborhood as if they had just come from the depths of the earth! Just hoping we can get some nicer weather next week!

blacktrout,
I grew up in northern Minnesota on small freestone streams fishing for brook trout, the bloodthirstiest of them all! :) Comparatively they are dumb and always hungry which made for a good learning environment. I went to college in central Wisconsin and mostly fished tiny spring creeks which necessitated a lot of fine tuning of my trout game. After graduation I lived in Anchorage for 8 months and all the fine tuning was out the window, it was easy and the trout were massive. Then to Corvallis in 2005, which marked my plunge into the swung-fly-for-steelhead genre. I fished steelhead in the great lakes tribs a lot but its really not the same as the big rivers out here, I love it. The reason I fish two-handers now is entirely due to the rhythm it brings to fishing, it slows things down for me.

And yes, that little taste of sun was great today...of course I happened to be at the library with my kids, then giving them lunch, then putting them down for naps and by the time I was ready to work on the coop the sun was gone! So it goes.

This is my first Oregon winter that really has me wishing for the rain to end...hopefully that wish will come true soon!

Back
Top Bottom