new to chickens in Arizona

GatorDoc70

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Hello all, I am Ed and live in Tucson, AZ. My wife, Michelle, and I have been buying fresh eggs from local backyard raisers here and love them more than store bought eggs. I have spent many hours on this site looking for all the information I can find on coops, and raising chickens. Well last week we found an old coop for sale so we bought it and were given a Barred Plymouth Rock hen at the same time. We made some improvements in the nesting boxes and added some roosting bars for the chickens, and also bought two EE / Americaunas this past Saturday.
We currently are feeding all our girls Nature's Grown Layer feed, give fresh water daily, and have placed pine shavings on the ground and in the nesting boxes. Still waiting on eggs, but the girls are so fun to watch. They all seem to enjoy the dust baths, but we still have the pecking order thing to straighten out, but seems to be going good. The Plymouth Rock seems to be the dominant one, and tonight I saw her and one of the EE / Americaunas on the roosting bar together.
So far this is very exciting, as I find myself wanting to go out and spend time watching the hens do their thing. Thanks for all those who have put info on here, as I have learned a lot in doing my research. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes by and am already looking to get a few more hens.

Thanks,
Ed Sheridan

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Chicken TV is fun! I love watching and laughing at my hens too. They are great pets! Hope you get an egg or 10 soon...

Don't forget chickens need greens. In the desert I feed alfalfa every day and sprinkle it with water so it is more like fresh greens. Tucson has many wonderful chicken people. My husband and I visit Tucson for a week ior so each winter and have met several people from the local egg producers association who sell at farmers markets there. Good going with your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom