New to chickens in Austin, TX

jennybunnyatx

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2015
Hello!

I've been lurking as a visitor for a little while, but am ready to start prepping in earnest to have my very own flock, so I thought it was time to join up. I'm sure I still have countless questions, and look forward to hearing from everyone on here. Such a knowledge base to pull from!

I was hoping to have already started out, but due to house construction I've had to push back my coop building etc. Was hoping to get some chicks to raise, but it's looking like I might have to wait until fall or even next year. Does anyone know of someplace/someone in the area that might be selling chicks around May/June? or would I really need to wait? I had some pretty specific breeds in mind, so I will wait if I have to, but I'm also antsy and excited to get started!

I'm sure I'll be posting many coop questions soon, but for now: Hi! I'm excited to be here. :)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. Ideal Poultry, which is the largest distributor of poultry in the US, has hundreds of breeds, and sells chicks year round, is located in Cameron, TX about an hours drive NE of Austin. You shouldn't have any problem getting chicks in May/June there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chicks.

You may want to search BYC for threads concerning the particular breeds you have in mind. You may find someone of interest.

Good morning and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Hope you find the breeds you are interested in. If you have questions, feel free to ask, there are a lot of friendly & knowledgeable members here.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom