New to Chickens in NC

chefmmie

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Hi I'm chefmmie and will get my chicks from McMurray the week of 5/25. I have ordered Buff Orpingtons, Araucanas, Rhode Island Reds, and Barred Rocks-on the suggestion of my co-worker who has had chickens 7 months. We have already built a chicken yard and have a coop for them. We will build our nests and probably use a doggie crate-metal-for our brooder. Looking forward to learning lots and enjoying our chickens (and their eggs). Do any of you eat your chickens too? We are likely going to do that as well. My Mama grew up on a large farm and is going to show us how to ring their necks (or another method) and get them ready to cook. Any suggestions for that would be really appreciated.

Chefmmie

Hi and Welcome from North Carolina!!
I do not know anything about killing and eating them, but I am sure someone here can help you! Good luck!!
yippiechickie.gif

Quick! cancel your order or forever be under the spell of these charming creatures. The fever will spread: one day you'll wake up and your backyard will contain ducks, geese, turkeys, quail, pheasants, and 14 breeds of chickens!

Met a guy who was an alcoholic. He joined AA, bought a pair of ducks, and now admits this addiction is worse. He hired a backhoe to dig a pond and has a yard full of banded birds that are endangered species in their home territory.

Poor bugger, he didn't make it out. (true story)

Last edited:
Welcome and hello from Eastern NC. Yes we eat our chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys and rabbits.
Any questions just PM me.
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom