New to chickens in NY

xpchick

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2016
NY
Hello! We just moved to a home with more land and plan on getting chickens in the spring for egg laying, and then also some meat birds. I've been reading, but it seems the more I read the more questions I have :)

So here is our barn. We are pretty sure we are going to build a coop area inside that side barn for the chickens (egg layers only), and put a fenced in area off of it for them so they can be out and safe during the day. If was are around them we'll try free range time. Any how, it has a concrete floor where we are planning to build walls for them. I have to figure out how much ventilation they need. That lower roof over-hangs enough for a raccoon to easily fit in so if we need to block it off we can fully or we can attach wire so nothing can fit in. Then I need to pick the set up for the coop / what they need and what is easiest to clean and best for them. We could also take out those white panels and put something clear in to let in more sunlight?
We live in NY, so we get a full 4 seasons here and it can be very windy.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!

For the meat birds I'm thinking of building them a low to the ground movable area to live in. I need to read up more on what they need to be happy and healthy.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! That's a fab barn you have there to turn into a home for your flock! If you can do the blocking off with wire so its secure that's great for the extra ventilation. Have you checked out the coop section? Lots of great ideas you could use to help you on your way ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Yorkshire coop has given you a good link to check out. Since you live in a cold winter area, make certain that your coop is draft free, dry, and well ventilated to keep moisture from building up in it. Feathers are wonderful insulators and moisture is a much greater danger than cold. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hello and :welcome
We are glad you joined us!

My advice is to fence off the top raccoons would take any chance they can get to get into chickens, they should have enough ventilation by the way you are building the coop. And that sounds like a great idea of having it in the barn and the run outside! Hope this helps.

CherriesBrood~

Thank you! Off to look at the links to see coop plans and other advice. Where would be a good place to post asking where to buy chicks from for when we are ready to start our flock? I've looked but couldn't pin down the right section.

Thank you! Off to look at the links to see coop plans and other advice. Where would be a good place to post asking where to buy chicks from for when we are ready to start our flock? I've looked but couldn't pin down the right section.

You're welcome. You post your question on our "Chicken Breeders and Hatcheries" section in "Chicken Breeds" under the Forum at the top of the page.

Last edited:
Thank you!  Off to look at the links to see coop plans and other advice.  Where would be a good place to post asking where to buy chicks from for when we are ready to start our flock?  I've looked but couldn't pin down the right section.

I would like to suggest a hatchery. I love them! They are called Chickens for Backyards hatchery. They have all sorts of breeds, they try to fill your every request, and they are true to breed. I have ordered form them ever since I got chickens and recommend them highly. Also their chicks are very healthy upon delivery and I haven't ever had one die I the package. :)

I would like to suggest a hatchery. I love them! They are called Chickens for Backyards hatchery. They have all sorts of breeds, they try to fill your every request, and they are true to breed. I have ordered form them ever since I got chickens and recommend them highly. Also their chicks are very healthy upon delivery and I haven't ever had one die I the package.
smile.png
Thank you! I'll check them out. I want to buy from somewhere that the parents are treated well.

Back
Top Bottom