New to chickens in Ohio

Thank you for the reminder, Teila. I appreciate you mentioning this. I certainly would hate a fire! The building the coop is in is worth thousands of dollars, more like a little cabin than a barn, and quite nice. Not to mention losing my friends. I agree. As I wrote, my situation is that I have bantams and we are experiencing -23F temperatures. That is chilly. They would be severely frostbitten without some heat, and unfortunately something electric is my limitation. However, my heat lamp is not inside the coop itself. It is firmly clamped to a bookcase next to the coop, and the lamp radiates heat through a door opening that is covered with hardware cloth. I'm very careful to keep the floor clean of shavings. And when temperatures are warmer, I do turn it off or replace it with a much cooler bulb and just give them light. They crack me up with how much they love their lamp. You can see the lamp's placement in this photo when I was building the coop. You can also see little brahma heads looking out through the opening.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reminder, Teila. I appreciate you mentioning this. I certainly would hate for a fire! The building the coop is in is worth thousands of dollars, more like a little cabin than a barn, and quite nice. Not to mention losing my friends. I agree. As I wrote, my situation is that I have bantams and we are experiencing -23F temperatures. That is chilly. They would be severely frostbitten without some heat, and unfortunately something electric is my limitation. However, my heat lamp is not inside the coop itself. It is firmly clamped to a bookcase next to the coop, and the lamp radiates heat through a door opening that is covered with hardware cloth. I'm very careful to keep the floor clean of shavings. And when temperatures are warmer, I do turn it off or replace it with a much cooler bulb and just give them light. They crack me up with how much they love their lamp. You can see the lamp's placement in this photo when I was building the coop. You can also see little brahma heads looking out through the opening.

Tee hee I love the little faces at the wire!

Thank you for understanding that my post was trying to help and only because I too would hate for anyone to lose their feathered friends to fire.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom