New to chickens in Oklahoma

KickyChicky

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
Hello,

My name is David. I've lived in suburban areas my whole life, but my wife and I recently decided to raise chickens for eggs after finding out they are allowed in our city. Fortunately, we should have plenty of time to plan and build the coop, as we won't be getting the chickens (~6 hens) until spring 2016. In the meanwhile, I've been perusing BYC to get ideas for our coop, which I will build this summer/fall. The general layout will likely be similar to the popular Wichita design.

For those wondering, my profile pic is of the Australian brushturkey. I remember seeing them in a wildlife show (Nature, etc) when I was younger, and thought their behavior was fascinating/humorous. Once I get some chickens of my own, I will likely change my profile pic to show them off.
smile.png

Thanks for a very interesting and informative site!

-David

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us.

Planning ahead IMO is the way to go.

I built a Wichita Cabin type coop and love it. But got 6 chicks and when they were a year old found the run was too small and built on. My advice is to decide how many chickens you are planning on - the plans as presented are for 3-4 hens. I you plan on more, enlarge the run size. It was way easier to build before the gals moved in :)

I have some pics in My Profile of my coop if you are interested.

@sunflour : Thanks! The previous owners of my house put concrete footings in for some kind of 4'x8' structure in the backyard... we call it "the dock" because that's what it looks like. I think their kids used it for something. I'm going to build off of that and use it for the coop. The run will extend off of the long side to make an 8'x8' run. I'll be inspired by designs on here but I'll probably have to customize them for my situation since I'm working around existing geometries ("the dock" isn't quite square with the fence, etc). That's what I'm planning for now at least!
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

If you are already planning on having 6 hens then you might want to build enough space for 12. Once you get your birds and get a customer base it will quickly drain your egg supply. Also...chicken math always adds numbers to the flock.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

If you haven't already, check out the Learning Center articles. They cover everything from selecting the right chickens, to how to maintain a healthy flock.

Have you decided what breed(s) you want? If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

It's nice to have you join us!

Back
Top Bottom