New to chickens in upstate NY

DonyaQuick

Songster
Jun 22, 2021
Upstate NY (Otsego county), USA
Hello! I have been browsing threads here for a long time and finally decided I should stop lurking. I got obsessed with chickens around a year ago but lived in an apartment at the time, so I had to settle for reading about them and appreciating other people's chickens until recently. I was eventually able to leave the city for a happier rural place and quickly got a coop and six buff Orpington chicks. I've had them for just over a month now and they are the best thing I've had happen in a long time. So far four are lap chickens of varying degrees, one is an independent huntress, and the last is a bit of a grump but still likes to be held occasionally.

chicks_22june2021sm.jpg

They're inside today playing with some greens in my home office because the weather took a nasty turn and not everybody is fully feathered. At first I was planning to let them free range a bit when they’re bigger, like letting them out when I'm gardening or doing other safe yard work. However, just a few days after I brought them home, a pair of hawks started obsessively camping the open area around my house. I hadn’t taken the chicks out yet when this started, so maybe they heard the chicks through the house’s window screens? At any rate, the hawks have already flown low past the coop’s small, secure run a few times trying to see if they can get in while the chicks were having outdoor time. I guess I'll be building a large covered run extension instead!

Hello! I have been browsing threads here for a long time and finally decided I should stop lurking. I got obsessed with chickens around a year ago but lived in an apartment at the time, so I had to settle for reading about them and appreciating other people's chickens until recently. I was eventually able to leave the city for a happier rural place and quickly got a coop and six buff Orpington chicks. I've had them for just over a month now and they are the best thing I've had happen in a long time. So far four are lap chickens of varying degrees, one is an independent huntress, and the last is a bit of a grump but still likes to be held occasionally.

View attachment 2729839

They're inside today playing with some greens in my home office because the weather took a nasty turn and not everybody is fully feathered. At first I was planning to let them free range a bit when they’re bigger, like letting them out when I'm gardening or doing other safe yard work. However, just a few days after I brought them home, a pair of hawks started obsessively camping the open area around my house. I hadn’t taken the chicks out yet when this started, so maybe they heard the chicks through the house’s window screens? At any rate, the hawks have already flown low past the coop’s small, secure run a few times trying to see if they can get in while the chicks were having outdoor time. I guess I'll be building a large covered run extension instead!
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom