New to chickens - looking to start with 4 - which breeds?

trchri

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Hi,

Love this site! We are looking to start small (I took that advice from the boards here!) and would like to get 4 pullets. My neighbor is placing an order and saved me 4 spots.

I was thinking about the following breeds:

Easter Egger - which type would be best?
Barred Rock
Cochin
Buff Orpington

I live in the Northeast and have children that I would like to have involved in the project. I am looking for a docile breed that is a decent layer. The eggs would be for our family alone.

Do you think I could get one of each? Or should I stick to one breed? Also, I am confused about the Easter Eggers - which breed is best for my situation?

Thanks in advance!
Tracy

go with what you want, they dont have to be pairs/sets etc...

Easter Eggers are a mixed breed, breed hopefully to give you a colored egg. Can come in various colors etc... sortof pot luck, may or may not get colored eggs etc....

Buff Orps, Buff Orps, Buff Orps and Buff Orps.

big_smile.png

they are good layers in the winter, which by your location makes sense to mind.

the others are all nice, but cochins may need extra care in the snow & mud because of their feathery footsies.

here is a handy dandy chart that may help you decide

edited to add: welcome! just noticed it was your first post! glad you are here!

Last edited:
i like barred rocks and ee, but cochin bantams are my fav! but they don't lay hardly at all, reallly depends what you want, if you want lots of eggs go with the barred rocks and ee

I think the one of each is a fine idea. Easter Eggers are mutts so there's no telling what type you might end up with - or even if they'll lay colored eggs. Is there is certain characteristic about the EE that you're hoping for?

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses!

I think I may have been confused. I thought EEgers were Araucanas/Americanas. I really love the Araucanas, they are so sweet. Are they considered EEgers?

Thanks for the tip about the Cochins, I think I might hold off on this breed until I get more experience.

So maybe 2 Buffs, 1 Araucana, and 1 Barred Rock...so fun to ponder!

Tracy

hiya! my two cents' worth:

i fell in love with ameraucanas - and thought that's what i was ordering... unfortunately, like you, i didn't know that what i'd get would be a mutt-chicken, an easter egger. while she DOES lay beautiful blue-green eggs and i LOVE the way she looks, she is a very skittish, flighty chicken. after more research, it seems that - as other posters have said - it's much more of a grab-bag when it comes to ee'rs. some are very docile and sweet, while others are spooky and weird. mine is a nice bird with me, but is scared of my husband and children (who are NOT strangers to her!) and once flew up onto my roof because she was scared by a towel. and, unfortunately, she's going to live at a friend's house this weekend, because she has developed a nasty feather-picking habit (picking my poor rir's tail area non-stop). i won't ever get another one, unfortunately - at least not a hatchery ee'r. i WOULD, however, get a purebred americauna from a breeder. then you'd be getting a little better guarantee of temperament.

so, that's my opinion - and i mean NO offense to people who've had good luck with their hatchery ee'rs. just sharing my experience - which is leaving me heartbroken at having to rehome my peep. and i'm seriously gonna miss those cute eggs.

we also have a rhode island red (naked butt girl), and two red stars (production reds) - all of whom have laid right through the winter with no supplemental light and who are friendly and tame and DON'T have naughty-bad habits. we'll be getting two orpingtons in the not-too-distant future - and i think after my rir and red stars pass on (quietly and in-their-sleep approximately 10years from now!) i will stick to orpingtons.

i've heard people rave about their barred rocks, so i think that's a good choice! and i know almost nothing about cochins!
smile.png

smile.png
happy chickening!!!

EE are mutt crosses of the purebred colored egg layers. They are not a breed but a mix of breeds so you can get anything from them. Pure breds of the colored egg layers are hard to find and none of the hatcheries actually have them. They all have EE but call them the same names as the actual breeds they may be crossed from.

I like my barred rock. Other than that only my bantams could be narrowed down to breed since all the standards are mutts. I do like my EE but unless you get them from the same hatchery yours may be different.

Back
Top Bottom