New to chickens, lots of bird experience

jeff_w

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
New to chickens. I have my first flock as chicks now.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Five chicks about 5 weeks old.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Cuckoo Maran (that I think is a cockerel), Barred Rock, Delaware, and two Easter Eggers.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I'm looking forward to the fresh eggs, but am also finding them to be full of personality.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Music and sports (viewing) take up a lot of my time.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have a wife and two kids who all love the chicks. My son has a leopard gecko, we have two bettas, a community fish tank, two cats, and a dog. I'm a producer/director in the film/video/media production world. I worked in a parrot store for a couple of years in my early 20s. I once owned an African Grey parrot, but he now lives with my mom and sister in Chicago. Well he never left, I did.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I stumbled upon BYC during my research into chickens over the last few months. I finally joined in part to ask about cockerel vs pullet, but also because I'm starting to have a handle on all this so feel I can finally ask useful questions and maybe help here or there.

Cuckoo Maran (that I think is a cockerel), Barred Rock, Delaware, and two Easter Eggers.

I'm looking forward to the fresh eggs, but am also finding them to be full of personality.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a wife and two kids who all love the chicks. My son has a leopard gecko, we have two bettas, a community fish tank, two cats, and a dog. I'm a producer/director in the film/video/media production world. I worked in a parrot store for a couple of years in my early 20s. I once owned an African Grey parrot, but he now lives with my mom and sister in Chicago. Well he never left, I did.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I stumbled upon BYC during my research into chickens over the last few months. I finally joined in part to ask about cockerel vs pullet, but also because I'm starting to have a handle on all this so feel I can finally ask useful questions and maybe help here or there.
-BYC-sign-flash.gif
Just when you think you know chickens, the chickens surprise you! Best of luck with your new flock!

View attachment 2183758 Just when you think you know chickens, the chickens surprise you! Best of luck with your new flock!

:welcome Nice to see more parrot people here! I have kept parrots all my life, chickens come & go! Chickens can have just as much personality as other birds, if you pay attention to them.

Back
Top Bottom