New to chickens (near Abilene, TX)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by erikk, Jul 26, 2013.

1. erikk

erikk In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    near Abilene, TX
    Hello BYC people!

My wife and I built a coop from plans this spring, finally put the finishing touches on a couple weeks ago. Got 4 mature hens from a coworker, 3 silkies and a something else a couple weeks ago.

Getting a couple eggs a day. I figure the move stressed them of course but they're all getting comfortable in the new coop and run. They're still freaked out by our dogs (2 schnauzer/poodle mixed) but seem to realize the TSC panels will keep them safe.

Need to read up on how to get my dogs to not think of the chickens as prey/food. One of my sweet dogs just looks at me as if it were Christmas morning and I just won't turn over those Christmas presents. The dogs have caught/killed a couple rodents, a bird or two, and a baby rabbit or two in the fenced 1/2 acre back yard we have. Would ultimately love for the chickens to be able to free-range the yard, but for now the Tractor Supply Company panels are making their run and will be adjustable later.

We planted a 20x40ft garden this year with a mix of things. Chickens are loving the ears of corn that have been eaten on by bugs. They love to peck those down to the bare cob. Will be getting some more TSC panels to go around the garden. Until the tomatoes start turning red we'd like to put the chickens on the garden for bug control. The TSC panels will keep the chickens safe from the dogs and "on target".

Enjoying the additional critters in our life so far, enjoying the eggs, and looking forward (somewhat) to learning how to prepare chickens for the table.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, erikk, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Good luck with your poultry plans!!

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Songster

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Good luck to you

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Silkies are known for many things but, egg laying is not one of them. They do lay eggs but, it's not something you can count on. The "other something," you have may be a better layer

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by