New to chickens need help with breeds and colors please :)

Amber101

Hatching
Aug 9, 2016
Hello we just bought some chickens from an auction and would like some help with colors and breeds please.
1. First pictures are white silkies? Is there anything else they're called? I believe they're non bearded since they're not really fluffy. Is it normal for them to not have much feathering on their legs? A friend said they're show girls since they have blue waddles is that correct?

2. I think this pair could be orphingtons. Now I've been trying to do my research on blue vs lavender vs splash and I can't figure out which they are.

3. These girls I have no clue what they are. I'm assuming some type of lavender color? I can't seem to figure out what breed they are.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

They are hatchery none bearded silkies
They are blue orps
They are lavender orps

All of these are male/female pairs as well

The silkies actually are a very poor representation for the breed as they have single combs and very light leg feathering where they should have full leg feathering like a cochin and a walnut comb.

Thank you for your reply. The silkies are all hens because all of them are laying. The 3rd ones I believe are both hens, just got them, haven't seen them lay yet, I felt under where their pelvic bones are and they feel like the hens rather than the 2 for sure roosters that I have and the 3rd ones are pretty small compared to the other orphingtons. Would they be considered a bantam orphington? (I'm not sure if there is such a thing.) I thought that they may just be juvinelle but they're molting and I read that means they're at least a year? Thank you again I appreciate your help

your silkies are not show girls - showgirls have a completely naked neck or a bow tie(of feathers) at mid point. Please check out the "Showgirl" thread. In any case the combs are incorrect. But, I have to say - they have very good BLACK pigment.

Thank you for your reply. The silkies are all hens because all of them are laying. The 3rd ones I believe are both hens, just got them, haven't seen them lay yet, I felt under where their pelvic bones are and they feel like the hens rather than the 2 for sure roosters that I have and the 3rd ones are pretty small compared to the other orphingtons. Would they be considered a bantam orphington? (I'm not sure if there is such a thing.) I thought that they may just be juvinelle but they're molting and I read that means they're at least a year? Thank you again I appreciate your help
The 3rd ones are large fowl and a pair. They look to be around the 13 week mark. If that is a hen then all these cockerels I have need to stop it lol
tongue.png
. They are not bantams and yes bantam orps are out there as we have the chocolate bantams. A chick under goes tons of molts before it reaches a year of age. Once they reach a year of age then they molt twice a year.

The silkies I do believe are a 3rd to 4th generation out crossing as they are way off even for hatchery birds. That large single is usually seen on the cockerels but depending on what is in them will determine the size of the combs.

Thank you. Like I said I'm new to this and trying to do research but it's so hard to try to figure out answers. I appreciate all of your help. Does a young roosters underside feel like a hen then? I'm not too worried about the silkies if they're correct or not. They make delicious eggs everyday lol I'm just curious to what we all have and the correct names/colors so I don't sound like an idiot :)

I do not feel the pelvic area unless they are new layers to see if they are laying or old layers to see if they have stopped. Young birds all feel the same to me.

Back
Top Bottom