New to chickens, need help with rescued Silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mentzer6, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Mentzer6

Mentzer6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    We have just started raising chickens. 3 weeks ago we received 11, day old, chicks that are Rhode Island Red/Speckled Sussex crosses. I was so nervous as I wasn't planning on getting chicks, but older established hens! They are doing great! The other day we were out looking at rabbits at a nearby farm and noticed they had some chickens so we asked about them and they were for sale. We had always wanted Silkies, so we bought 2. They are filthy! I am not sure exactly how old they are, maybe 3-4 weeks(one is larger than the other)? I washed their little feet today in warm water and put them under the heat lamp to make sure they got dry. But, the rest of their bodies are still dirty. I read that you can bathe them, but everything I have read has been for full grown show chickens. I will not put these in with our other chickens until we are sure that they are clean and healthy. They are eating and drinking well and their stools are good. It is just that they are dirty and I wonder if that effects their feathering out. Any advice?

2. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    If it's warm enough, wash them! Just use a mild baby shampoo or whatever you have. I always wash any new bird, but I'm weird [​IMG] And silkies sometimes need help to stay clean

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    a drop of dawn soap may be better .... i would use it sparingly as long as they are warm they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by