New to chickens, new to forum!

Melbelle

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 18, 2016
Hello!

I had chickens when I was a small child (which is to say my parents had chickens I helped feed sometimes). I have always wanted to have them again, but it was a chunk of work getting set up that I hadn't gotten around to.

Then Mr. Rooster strolled in one day. I'm on about 2/3 acre with half farmland and half housing development around me, so I wasn't shocked - but he never left. I watched for missing rooster postings, but there were none. Also, enough people have chickens here that unwanted roosters are actually quite common.

After a few months I thought that if I was going to get crowing every morning I may as well get him a nicer place to sleep and some girls, and maybe some eggs. I found someone who was moving and would part with a few hens, so now I have a little crew!

I have a white leghorn rooster, a black australorp, a silver laced wyandotte, and a rhode island red. They are a very pretty crew. The black and silver are inseparable (and now that I think of it, they were that way in the coop I picked them up from). The red is smart and sweet and I really like her. Everyone is getting along well, and someone started laying eggs the day after they arrived, which is admirable, given the car ride and new house and everything. Haha!

Anyway, that's us. I'm still sorting many things out but they have food and water and a tiny house and a coop.

Nice to meet you all! Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Having a roo adopt you is as good a reason as any for getting a flock. I wish you all the best in your chicken-keeping renaissance.

CT

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thanks for joining! If you are new to chickens, I can think of no better place to start than the learning center! Here is a link to the learning center, read away!https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. I have a White Leghorn hen, a pair of Black Australorps, and eight Silver laced Wyandottes! You have great beginner breeds there, and they are even color coordinated! Also, if you would like to chat with folks from your general area, you can find your state thread here, chat away!https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=find+your+state+thread. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

welcome-byc.gif

Oh, that's great! Thanks for the welcome, and I'll be sure to check out those other threads!

Back
Top Bottom