New to chickens (somewhat)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ThatsMe, May 1, 2016.

1. ThatsMe

ThatsMe New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Hi, long time lurker and now new user here.

I've recently bought my first chicks as an adult. My father had chicken and so did my grandfather. And my great-grandfather had a chicken farm, so you can say it's in the blood :) Perhaps one day I'll buy a house further out in the countryside with a large piece of land and raise a few more than our currently 6 chickens. Any suggestions to convince my wife are greatly appreciated [​IMG]

Also, as a curiosity. I'm not a native English speaker and until recently I thought plural for chicken was chicken (without the 's') - like fish and furniture. And now I can't get used to say chickens because it feels wrong.

1 person likes this.
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from Northern Michigan, glad you joined in [​IMG]

English is not always the most logical language.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. Seems like you do indeed have chicken-keeping in the blood, and I'm sure that you have some great advice and experience from your family.

You certainly write English perfectly and the quirks of this silly language (I can say that, cos I'm English [​IMG]) must make life very difficult when learning it as a second language! If "chicken" sounds better than "chickens" to you - then stick with what you prefer - we all talk chicken here, and grammar and spelling a rarely important.

I'm sure you wife will come round to the idea of chickens - time and "selective amnesia" when increasing your flock size seemed to work for me!

All the best
    CT

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Spouses tend to come around to the chicken side - who can resists fluffy butts ? It shouldn't take to long. Your English is fine. Welcome to Backyard chickens, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by