New to chickens - unsure of sex: Pekins

Becshens

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2016
Qld, Australia
So we were given 4 4/5 week old Pekin chickens. The kids are getting very attached but I'm concerned there might be a few males and due to local laws we would need to get rid of them. Can anyone give insight as to what we have and how do I tell between the two sexes?

Ps I'm unsure how to upload pictures.

This is from me helping someone just like you that had trouble uploading pictures. The pictures need to be on your computer to go this route. Just follow instructions that pop up.
MOST OF ALL
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

No one is showing real cockerel signs yet.....but it's too early to call pullets with confidence.

These little things do usually develop pretty early if the're males, so odds look good for you. But you'll have to wait it out a few more weeks to be sure. Pretty much what you're looking for at this age is a larger, red comb.

I too agree that non of them are jumping out as male to me either. I have done a few Pekin this year and found the males developed pretty quick with their comb and wattles.

Thank you Donrae. Does the number of toes mean anything? Some have 4 and some have 5.
Doesn't mean anything as far as gender. What it means is the five toed birds are likely mixed with Silkie. Silkies have five toes and it's a dominant trait. Those birds may also have a different comb and other silkie features. Silkie/bantam Cochin (Pekin, to you) crosses are very popular and cute little things.

If I had to peg anyone as a cockerel, my money would be on the stripey looking bird in the back, just in front of the white one....but it's not really looking that male at this point.

LL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom