New to Chickens - What should we consider?

K-Karla

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 5, 2012
We live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and my family and I are planning to keep some chickens in our back yard. We can have 3 hens and are in the process of building a suitable coop and enclosure for the hens in our large back yard.

We are thinking of getting hens that are 3 different breeds and are considering the following:
1 Lemon Cuckoo or Lavender Orphinton
1 Ameraucana or other blue egg layer- my son is insisting on a blue egg layer
1 Light Sussex or Barred Plymouth Rock

We want birds that will be calm, friendly, good egg layers and are able to tolerate our heat and humidity. What birds would you recommend?

Any guidance you can give us would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

karla

Hi! Im from Covington LA! Just thought id mention that
wink.png
. I would consider the Ameraucanas,they are decent layers and are very tough and are very smart when it comes to predators, they however dont lay in the colder part of the winter..
The barred rocks are good layers with lots of personality, we have always enjoyed their personality.
We have had a Buff Orpington but never lavender, so I dont have much information on them.
Good luck with your birds and If you have anymore questions just ask!
smile.png

All good choices. It is nice to have different colored eggs. For one thing it looks pretty in a carton, but it's also nice to know exactly who is laying what.
smile.png

Quote:
Hello from ------Arkansas and
welcome-byc.gif

Not fimiliar with any of the above, but the Ameraucana (go with that or an Easter Egger {you'd get green or blue eggs]). The Sussex I've heard are big eaters.

We started off with barred rocks, buff orpingtons, and rhode island reds, and they were all good choices, though the birds we had tended to pick on each other a lot. We added in some easter eggers after that, and really enjoyed their mild personalities, and the pretty eggs. Our easter eggers do lay throughout the winter, as we almost have more green and blue eggs now, than brown.
Look at the breed section here, and think about colors, and what you would like to see in your yard, and what color eggs you would like.
I love the variety in the flock we have now. (A barred rock, buff orpington, turken, cuckoo marans, delawares, rhode island reds, assorted orpingtons, assorted easter eggers, an australorp, a gold and a silver-laced wyandotte, and barnevelders.) I love to look at my little flock!
love.gif

My only advice is be careful of the dreaded "chicken addition". I wanted 3 pullets, ended up ordering 8 (never hurts to have a few extras). So, now 2 1/2 years later - I have 20 hens and a few ducks too.

Back
Top Bottom