New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jennifer74, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Jennifer74

Jennifer74 Just Hatched

Jul 14, 2016
    I fell in love with a friends Polish chicken and now want chickens of my own. From what Im learning Phyllis is very sweet and friendly and thats not typical of a polish so I decided to start with 2 or 3 Silkies and add some compatible egg laying chickens with them. I may have to wait until spring but want to get the coop and everything set up now - I have access to pallets so I thought that would be a good start - I would like to stop at 10 chickens (yesterday I said my limit was 4) but I want the coop to be 4 pallets long and 2 pallets wide and 2 palletshigh so tall enough for me to walk in to clean and warm enough for them to go through winter and plenty of ventilation in the summer- any advice or pics of designs would be awesome. I live in the country so would like to let them roam free but also have the coop opened into a fenced area so they could be outside but contained if I was away for the weekend so again - any advice is welcomed.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can post on your state thread to find out what type of coop is best for your area (climate, predator control, etc.) I really don't recommend free ranging polish or silkies. Both have their vision obscured by big crests which makes them sitting ducks for predators. Also silkies don't really fly, they can jump high.

A sound, secure run with cover would be fine for them.

4. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I have not owned Polish, but I was a go between for one before. It was very sweet. It is all in how much you handle them.
    You can go to the coops section to find designs, but I can tell you now, that you are going to be looking at Sally Sunshine's pallet coops. She is scarce right now, so she may not be available to answer PM's, but her pictures and instructions will get you on the right track!
    The condition you are suffering from is called Chicken Math. It can get quite bad, and has been known to spread to turkey, duck, pea fowl, guinea, goat and even mini cow math. You have been warned!
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I love the silkies!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Jennifer74

Jennifer74 Just Hatched

Jul 14, 2016
    Im so glad ive joined this group, Ive gotten a ton of great info. Im so excited about getting started!

10. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    :weee We caught another one! :celebrate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by