New to chickens!

:welcome
Glad to have you! And glad to have a fellow nurse on here as well! I'm so sorry about your loss, most of us have dealt with that at one time or another. You'll get lots of ideas and suggestions.
As for mine...after this happened to me I buried the hard wire cloth that makes up the run into the ground several inches and did 2 layers of large paving stones along the outside of the run with either 2 layers of bricks along the inside perimeter of the run or a layer of the 4x4 pavers. Along the outside of the hardwire cloth I have an extra layer of chicken wire - just to deter smaller predators. The only thing I haven't done to the run is electrify it.
Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy that you've decided to join our little flock:ya You've gotten some good advice so far, 1/2" hardware cloth is your friend. So sorry about your losses:hugs
Thanks! We electrified it yesterday at 3 levels. Hope that will get predators at all levels! We already have the hardware cloth buried. This was a big animal that broke through where the upper and lower fence is joined. Now to reinforce it!

G’Day from down under Nurse Swicland :frow Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss :(

For you injured chicken, you should get some good advice on treatment if you post on the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures Forum. I wish her all the best.

For coop advice, I recommend this Coop & Run Forum or you could also check out the Predators & Pests Forum

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: Find Your State Thread

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)
Thanks! I will. I hav already read and received great advice!

Thanks! We electrified it yesterday at 3 levels. Hope that will get predators at all levels! We already have the hardware cloth buried. This was a big animal that broke through where the upper and lower fence is joined. Now to reinforce it!
I run 3-4 hot wires starting at 3" and spacing 3", given something big went through the seam, I'd add 3 wires above below and at the break in point as well.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you've joined us! I'm very sorry to hear of your losses. For protection, you can use 1/2 inch or even 1/4 hardware cloth around your run and also as a skirt around your run on the ground or extending in to the ground to deter digging predators. You can pile heavy rocks alive the outside of your run to keto diggers out or use electric wire. Also, make sure the top of your run is secured with either a roof, bird netting, or hardware cloth/chicken wire. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom