new to chickens

we have 2 sapphire gems, 2 mystic onyx, and 2 buff orpingtons. i came on here to see if i can get an answer to a question on the sex of the sapphire gems. it seems nobody else i have asked about them knows the answer cause they've never heard of this breed.
I have actually heard (and researched) Sapphire Gems. Gorgeous birds, for sure! I wouldn't be too concerned about trying to identify their gender while they are chicks or pullets/cockerels. If you're worried you've got some roosters in the mix, treat all the chicks as though they will mature into roosters.

I had a hen raise a clutch of six and I treated them all as roosters. There were four in the bunch and they turned out to be really good birds (the hens were super socialized as well, lol)

I don't really care to know which are roosters and which are hens when they aren't even old enough to help-or-harm, so to speak. You shouldn't rehome a rooster until he's at least three months, anyways, at which point he should be crowing and you'll know his temperament.

If you still want to try and tell the boys from the girls, however, there are a few giveaways. Combs and wattles are your best bet. All my hens didn't get a full comb until one year of age whereas my roosters had there's by about five months. As chicks rooster's combs will grow much quicker than hen's.

Like I said, I wouldn't fret about what there gender is. Just live in the moment and enjoy your chicks!

Good luck and happy farming!

Back
Top Bottom