RoundHouseDonna

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2021
Hi chicken lovers! I’m Donna and I live in Cabot, VT with my dog Ginger (2). I just got my first flock of 8 chicks, 2 of each: Barred Rock, Golden Comet, Buff Orpington, and Ameraucana. They’re a week old and so cute! And I have no idea what I’m doing! A friend recommended this site and I’m excited to have a place to learn from your experiences. My first question is: how do I introduce my dog to the new chicks??

Attachments

• A5857F8C-0C5C-410A-93CB-E6563EF29CAD.jpeg
    A5857F8C-0C5C-410A-93CB-E6563EF29CAD.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 8
Good morning, Donna, and welcome to BYC. Introduce your dog as soon as possible while controlled (on leash). Hopefully the dog is obedience trained and knows the 'leave it' command. Some breeds/individuals can never be near birds because of their high prey drive, others are absolutely mellow, and the majority are trainable. Good luck.

They should still be small enough that you can put them in one cupped hand and put the other hand across to make a box. Then your dog can sniff them without being able to touch them. If the dog does well you can show it to him and see how he reacts. If he tryies to bite shut your hands again. Practice holding the bird like that before trying this out.

:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello Donna and welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

Dogs and chickens are not a good mix. May start out ok at first and once jealousy sets in for your affection, the dog always wins. IMO, unless you want to doctor a hurt chicken...... keep them apart.

I have noticed, there is endless new members on this Forum who joined asking for help because their pet dog who has never hurt a living thing in it's life, decided today was the day to hurt their pet chicken. Best of luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom