New to chickens

Magda12

Songster
May 25, 2022
Southwestern Pennsylvania
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We live is SW PA, just moved from suburbs of Pittsburgh to a rural location about an hour+ away from the city in 2020 - specifically to grow our own food and become more self-sustaining. We got the first batch of chickens this spring (Pascha chicks, hatched April 24!)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

10 (hopefully all hens)!! I didn't want so many to start, but I ordered from Tractor Supply and they only came in quantities of 10.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Not sure yet. I got the colored egg layer assortment, supposed to include Marans, Americauna, and Olive Egger breeds. I am having a hard time IDing them, hopefully once they get older.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Right now they're just fun to watch! Looking forward to getting lots of eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am a "fiber artist" (knit, crochet, spin, weave, tat, embroider) and yarn collector. I love to cook. I sing in our Orthodox church choir (not professionally trained, but am acting as quasi choir director in the absence of someone better!)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I work in tech, I work from home full time. I have 3 boys (one grown, one a teenager and one in elementary). Two cats (indoor).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

The site kept coming up as I was looking for chicken info!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom