New to chickens

Mzcooke

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2022
My name is Mary and I am a first time chicken owner. I recently bought 5 polish hens and they are about 4 weeks old now. I have a chicken coop with a secure run. I have been taking the girls out in the run for a few hours at a time. They are happy when I am with them, but seem stressed when I leave them. There is a covered secure area near the coop where they can hide. I'm just wondering if this is normal. My neighbors think that I'm nuts for sitting out in the run with the chickens!

I also wonder when I do put them in the coop permanently, should I keep the water and food inside the coop for the first couple of days? I have so many questions and hope that I'm doing this right!

Hello Mary, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
If it's warm where you are they can be left out in the coop permanently. Just give them a huddle box to keep warm in at night.
What do you have in the run for them?
What kind of litter is on the ground?
Do you have any branches or stumps or things like that for them to perch on?

My name is Mary and I am a first time chicken owner. I recently bought 5 polish hens and they are about 4 weeks old now. I have a chicken coop with a secure run. I have been taking the girls out in the run for a few hours at a time. They will are happy when I am with them, but seem stressed when I leave them. There is a covered secure area near the coop where they can hide. I'm just wondering if this is normal. My neighbors think that I'm nuts for sitting out in the run with the chickens!

I also wonder when I do put them in the coop permanently, should I keep the water and food inside the coop for the first couple of days? I have so many questions and hope that I'm doing this right!
Hi Mary you just ignore those neighbors! Almost all of us hang with our chickens daily. It's nice to have friendly ones to help with chicken health later on.i agree with others could move them out with food and water get them used to coop being a safe haven. You just keep asking those questions we are here to help.

Back
Top Bottom