New to Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beckywheatfield, Dec 27, 2007.

1. beckywheatfield

beckywheatfield New Egg

Dec 27, 2007
    Hi everyone........I'm new and have a few questions, hope someone can help. Currently I have 2 geese and 16 ducks in our mini farm. We have a friend that is needing to find homes for a few egg laying chickens but I don't have a clue about them and would like to give them a home. I was just wondering if there is special medicine that chickens need in order to stay healthy or will they be fine just being fed layer food, and cracked corn.

2. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

First of all welcome to BYC! I would say as long as the flock you are getting from your neighbor is healthy there is no reason to give them a shot, and feeding them layer feed, oyster shells, and corn should be enough. Good luck with them, and enjoy them. This is my opinion, and I am sure others may say something else.

3. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Layer feed and a little cracked corn is fine. You also want to add oyster shell for the calcium that a laying hen needs. You can pick it up wherever you get your feed and just offer it free choice. They'll peck at it when they want it.

Congrats on the chickens!

4. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    The first two answered with great advice. I will only add that, maybe give them a place at night where they will be safe from any predators. An enclosed structure with a closing door. This will keep them from getting cold and wet and protect them from night roaming predators like, coons and owls and a few others. It don't have to be a major project, something simple will work just fine..................WELCOME to BYC

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I mix my own scratch and mix cracked corn and black oil sunflower seed together. The cracked corn is good for extra heat this time of the year and the black oil sunflower seed is good for feather production and higher protein.

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Great advice from all above!

So WELCOME [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

8. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC

9. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Biggest thing I see is that you will need to keep them seperated for about 30 days after you get them. This will help deter any desease transfer. Good Luck, your hooked now.

10. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Just wanted to say welcome to BYC Becky [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by