New to chickens

wood duck whacker

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
russellville arkansas
I am new to chickens i bought 6 chicks at the tractor supply they are doing well. i have looked at several designs but they all really fancy i am looking for stricktly functioinal at this point. Would a coop 4' wide by 8' long by 4' high be good for six chicks? I dont even know yet how many are male and how many are female. They said they are assorted reds but i dont know what kind of reds. I am sure some of you are cringing at my ignorance but you have to start somewhere right. any help would be greatfull.

First of all...
welcome-byc.gif

I'm assuming for now that you have them in a brooder with heat(for about 6wks). The coop dimensions will be fine provided you have a run for them to go outside. The minimum suggestion here is to have 4 sq. ft. per bird in the coop and 10 sq. ft. per bird in the run. These are only suggestions. Some may get by with less, some may desire more.

The Reds you speak of are probably production reds or some call the Rhode Island Reds not to be confused with the Heritage Rhode Island Reds(the real ones).

Quote:
Chickens are chickens, unless you are showing them.

My first chickens came from TSC too - I got 3 of the "assorted reds" same as you got. One is the very favorite hen around here, and one is my flockmaster rooster who fought off a raccoon and sounds the alarm for hawk fly-overs!!!! They are some good birds for eggs and flock keepin, but they ain't gonna win any pedigree awards.
wink.png

i just raising for eggs and meat mostly. I live in town so any roosters that pop up wont last long around here! i figured that coming from tsc they would most likely be some fairly tough chickens, And as far as peedigree i will leave that to my labs. Do any chickens lay better tasting eggs than others or certian chickens tase better then others?

Back
Top Bottom