new to chickens!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 3kids+5chicks, Apr 15, 2008.

1. 3kids+5chicks

3kids+5chicks New Egg

Apr 11, 2008
    wv
    well i decided it would be a good learning experience for my kids to get some chickens!! i didnt know it would be so hard, well the getting that is! everyone must have wanted chicks this year because our local southern states and tractor supply sold out as soon as they came in!! finally they had chicks and the kids and i rushed to the store. we wanted rode island reds and there where none left. so we got two cornish rock, two barred rock and one mystery chick!!! she was in the "mixed pullet" container and is actually turning into our prettiest and most friendly chick! the kids are loving them and im so glad we got them. anyone have these types of chickens? do you like them? do they stay friendly? aslo if anyone can tell me how to do pictures i have a ton, then you can all see how cute they are!!!

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    www.photobucket.com

then use the last code listed under the image... the one that has code starting with IMG

Just click on it to copy then paste with control + V

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. 3kids+5chicks

3kids+5chicks New Egg

Apr 11, 2008
    wv
    ok about the pics!! now i have to remeber my photo bucket account!!

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I have a barred rock and she is still friendly, now 6 years old, and still lays eggs too! I have 2 rhode island reds, an easter egger, a silkie, a game hen, and I also have five 3 week old rhode islands!
    welcome
    [​IMG]

5. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    [​IMG]

Glad to hear you were finally able to get some chicks. I think a lot of people are getting into raising chickens now, as a way to begin eating better food.

Did you know that the Cornish Rock chicks you got are meat birds? If not, you may want to search for information on them here on the forum. They are really only designed to live a few months; they grow too fast and and too big to live long lives, I'm afraid. I just wanted to check, because if your kids get really attached to them, you may want to explain that to them.

Good luck with your new hobby! [​IMG]

6. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    :frowGlad you joined us!!

Monica

7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Welcome ! [​IMG]

8. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    Welcome!!! Your kids will have lots of fun with them. I have 3 kids also and they adore the chicks. If you decide you want more, you can always order the breed that you want from a hatchery.

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!

10. 3kids+5chicks

3kids+5chicks New Egg

Apr 11, 2008
    wv
    Quote:unfortunatley i didnt know that till i got them home!!! like i said we where there for rhode island reds or barred rock, well my daughter is the one who picked out the cornish chicks. they are already getting so much bigger than the rest. so my ? is, if i keep them, will they lay eggs? do they die of "old age" at a young age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by