New to chickens!

MethowPeeps25

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Kirkland, WA
So sadly last year i wasn't able to buy any chickens :( BUT come this spring i'm planning on starting my own flock of... BACKYARD CHICKENS!!

I kinda need some help here... first off the farm store nearby has many breeds of chicks to buy in april but i have NO idea what breed i want ;) i know i want a docile, friendly breed that is good a laying eggs but other than that no idea. So some questions:

1) Any recommendations of breeds? I live in the Pacific NW so its pretty rainy and cold...
2) How many chickens do you think i should start with?

Any other info you can give regarding starting chicks would be AWESOME! I want to get an early start so anything you guys have to say is great! Thanks in advance!

First ever for me and chickens, I have had a wonderful time! I got 5 chicks and put them in my home and raised them for 2 months in a warm house with lots of love. We bought Buff orphington and lorps and we have loved every inch of them. There so friendly when you take the time to hold your babies and love on them, taking there fears away . I live in the city, small town but still city lol. I got my self a coop made 5x6 and have loved every second, well almost lol. Did you order a coop, or have one made yet? I suggest you give your girls lots of room and get a coop big enough so in the future you have enough room to add more, you will want to lol its a disease, more more more! do you live in the city or country? All this depends on how many you want or can have. Do you want duel birds( meat and eggs) size what size do you want? Just read read read here and you will learn everything you ever wanted to know lol , I did before I ever ventured to getting a chicke. I have 5 precious girls, !

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to the world of chickens!
frow.gif
I got my first chicks last spring. I have 3 Easter Eggers, 12 Golden and Silver laced Wyandottes, and a mixed breed rooster someone gave me. I am not too knowledgable about a lot of breeds. Hope you get some good ones! I have now decided to raise and breed Nankin bantams. They are an extremely rare breed, and I received 6 in the mail yesterday, with more on the way! I need to build more coops.....
big_smile.png

Welcome! Choosing chicks is so exciting :) My Barred Rock is my best layer and is a beautiful docile bird. My Buff Orp is also pretty docile and a good layer. Then I have two EEs (your feed store will probably call them Ameracaunas - but they'll be EEs). It's fun to get the green eggs, but the two are far, far apart in the personality department. One is very, very skittish and the other will allow herself to be handled. So, sometimes it's a matter of individual personality, as all mine were treated the same when chicks.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will get a lot of enjoyment from them :)

welcome-byc.gif

I'm a newbie also and am awaiting the delivery of my spring chicks. I've found that this site has SOOO much good information and knowlege from others that have been there and seen everything. Don't be afraid to ask questions, they love to answer them!

Thanks everyone! I'll take a lot of your suggestions, think about it some more, and then inform you guys on what i decide!! Can't wait to get some chicks... Easter time would be fun! Question: How did Jesus dying on the cross for our sins and then coming back alive, start relating to bunnies and chicks?? Just wonderin' ;)

Back
Top Bottom