New to chickens

Cyndee

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 3, 2012
Hi everyone....I'm happy to have found this website. I am very interested in having 3 or 4 chickens for eggs and also pets. OI have a small flock of parrots not I want chickens..lol. I need help as I am very new to this. I want to do it right or not do it at all. I am from Columbus, OH and living in Troy, OH. My husband is from KY and lived on a farm. He just laughs at me when I tell him I want chickens. I do have a question that I'll start with. When having chickens do you have to have all the same breed together? There are so many that I like....lol..but I can't have them all. Also please, please, please all suggestions greatly appreciated. And I'll apologize ahead of time for some of the goofy questions I might have.

WelcometoBYC.gif

Welcome!

You can mix most breeds. It usually works better if they are the same type -- large fowl or bantams, for example. Some of the crested breeds (Silkies, Polish) get mistreated by other breeds.

There is a wealth of information here in our Learning Center. Our coops section has gobs of designs of various sizes. Our FAQ forum answers some basic questions as well. I encourage you to read over some of the material here -- but feel free to post your questions as well! We have a saying, there are no stupid questions. Every one of us was new to chickens at some point.

Greetings from Kansas, Cyndee, and
welcome-byc.gif
! I agree with the previous two posts - I have a very mixed flock of 19 chickens right now - they seem to sometimes segregate themselves but leave each other alone as well - no problems. Best of luck to you!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Enjoy your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom