new to chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by teresa2530, Mar 17, 2013.

1. teresa2530

teresa2530 New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    I grew up in the country and my grandmother always had chickens and coop so that is the extent of my chicken knowledge.
    Now that a friend has been giving hubby farm fresh free range eggs he has decided its time to have our own.

He came home today with 4 jumbo cornish rock, 6 rhode island reds, 4 australorps, 4 brahmas, 4 bantams.
    I knew about bantams from grandma, and quickly discovered online that the cornish are meat chickens not layers
    and found out those are the kind my mom raised for meat a few years ago. My son wanted the brahmas cause
    of the feathered feet. The australorp chicks look like penguins so my daughter in law picked them out.

We have a concrete block building we are converting into the coop and plan on fencing it in so they won't be completely free
    range but not restricted to a small area either. The chicks are about a week old. As I am healing from a broken arm and
    with all of us working at various jobs I hope the conversion of shed and pen will be completed and the weather will allow for
    the chicks to be placed outside next weekend.

2. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    good luck i hope you get every thing done ....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by