new to chickens

teresa2530

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
I grew up in the country and my grandmother always had chickens and coop so that is the extent of my chicken knowledge.
Now that a friend has been giving hubby farm fresh free range eggs he has decided its time to have our own.

He came home today with 4 jumbo cornish rock, 6 rhode island reds, 4 australorps, 4 brahmas, 4 bantams.
I knew about bantams from grandma, and quickly discovered online that the cornish are meat chickens not layers
and found out those are the kind my mom raised for meat a few years ago. My son wanted the brahmas cause
of the feathered feet. The australorp chicks look like penguins so my daughter in law picked them out.

We have a concrete block building we are converting into the coop and plan on fencing it in so they won't be completely free
range but not restricted to a small area either. The chicks are about a week old. As I am healing from a broken arm and
with all of us working at various jobs I hope the conversion of shed and pen will be completed and the weather will allow for
the chicks to be placed outside next weekend.

good luck i hope you get every thing done ....
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom