New to Chickens

Just got our new babies home last night. All 102ish of them. I'm having a hard time controlling the temp in my brooder though. I have 2 heat lamps and my thermometer still said 75. I can't move them any closer because of the way my brooder is built. Any ideas?

Nice to meet you Denny! We are new too, very new. We had to hang our lamps to make sure all of our chicks were able to benefit from its heat. Can you hang them above the brooder at all? As the chicks got bigger we just raised it and adjusted it according to how they reacted to it. If they are too cold they will all be huddled under it and on top of each other, but if they are too hot, they will avoid it like the plague. Just my experience. Like I said I'm only 6 weeks into knowing anything about chickens!!

My brooder is 16 inches tall. Everything I've read said to start the lamps at 18. Mine are at that sitting on the lid with their protector things on them. I moved them to that point this morning. We'll see how they're doing when i get home.

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio and God Bless!!!

Back
Top Bottom