New to Chickens!

Alaya

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 22, 2013
Hello everyone!
My name is Leticia. We are going to get chickens very soon, I am a city girl and have no idea about chicken. My husband, two girls (10 and 7) and I are really looking forward to this new adventure! We are going to build the chicken coop in August, and I know it is late to get chickens then, but will try! We have friends that live or own farms so I am counting on them for supply ;-)
I heard about this website from a girl that works at Jax. New coops there were more expensive that I thought, so that is why we will be building one or buying a used one.
Looking forward to browsing around and learn about chickens!!
Thank you

welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from Kansas, Alaya, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Glad you are getting into the wonderful world of chickens - you will enjoy them. Are you going for chickens for eggs or meat or both? A great place for the beginning chicken keeper to start is the Learning Center link below. The various sections within it will give you the knowledge you need to raise a happy & healthy flock.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

If your neighbor doesn't come through with some chickens for you, here is a link to various hatcheries. The variety of what you can order is reduced as the year progresses but there are still lots and lots of great breeds you can order as baby chicks. Good luck to you and have fun!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

Thank you!!
I sure will check out this website!
We want eggs. We have another neighbor that has duck, and I think we would love to have both. Duck eggs are delicious!!
Thanks for the info!
Leticia

There are some great coop designs on this site that helped provide an array of ideas for our new coop. We bought a little utility shed on craigs list, 6x8 and converted it to a coop (far cheeper than smaller coops that we saw on the market). We then added a 15x20 fenced in run.

We never had chicks before either and it has been a wonderful experience. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom