new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mamamull, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Mamamull

Mamamull New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    I don't have any chickens yet. But I have been doing all the research I can because I know I want to have a small flock for my family. Maybe 5 or so chickens. It seems that people choose a breed and stick with it, I have found many breeds that I find interesting. Is it ok to have 5 different individual chickens or do I need to have just one breed? Will different breeds get along ?Also any opinions on breeds is appriciated.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I think it's a good idea to have 5 different breeds, then if one really charms you- you may want to just have that or NOT. You are free to do what pleases you. There are so many great breeds it's like being in a candy store - you won't know until you try them.

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I like to have a mixed flock they're so many different kinds of chickens breeds that are great, and my hens do well with each other the only time the fight is to establish the pecking order. [​IMG]

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Hi there,

Like you, I researched on BYC for almost a year before getting my flock of 5. Can't have roosters here, so I started with 3 cream legbars since they can be sexed at hatch and I wanted blue eggs. Later I bought 2 olive eggers ( mixed breed) that were 5 weeks old.

I didn't want breeds that go broody often, must be able to handle triple-digit temps in the summer, and can handle confinement since I can't free range. Since I'm in town, they must also be fairly quiet.

Keep researching, you'll find what's right for you!

5. Mamamull

Mamamull New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    I live in Minnesota so they will have to be cold hardy for our frigged winters and I love love love the thought of colored eggs! Thank you for the replies any help is appreciated. :) Keep it coming :)
    :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mamamull, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Mixed breeds are where it's at for me!! Right now I have 1 or two of each of the following breeds: Ancona, Silver-laced Wyandotte, Gold-laced Wyandotte, Partridge Rock, Easter Egger, Cuckoo Marans, Delaware, Red Star, Black Star, Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Black Cooper Marans, and Black Australorp. They get along fine as they were raised together. I love the variety out in the yard and in the egg basket! In terms of climate, if you have a good draft free coop, just about any breed will thrive - even in the Minnesota winter. Perhaps avoid the large combed varieties (Ancona, Leghorn, Minorca, etc.) as the combs tend to get frostbite. Below is a link to a chart that compares many breeds by attribute. Good luck to you!!

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

1 person likes this.
  7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Just make sure you build a nice big coop. Once chicken math strikes and you discover more breeds you like you're going to need that space! Have fun!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I have a mixed flock that keeps growing (chicken math!)

10. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site and best of luck! I have a small flock of 6 made up of 3 different breeds. I love my barred rocks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by