new to chickens!

mamabearsin

In the Brooder
May 5, 2015
Masury, Ohio 44438
hello y'all. My name is Maggie and I just got my first chicks yesterday and I am supposed to get another bunch in a few days. I am pretty excited about raising my own chicken. I have 6 Rhode Island Reds and I am getting 30 silver laced wyandotte. my husband built a brooder box and a coop for them and now I'm just trying to figure out if these two breeds are going to get along

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Most breeds get along just fine if raised together. They don't know they are of a different breed. As long as all these chicks are under 2 weeks of age, you will be able to mix them all together with little issues. This is a lot of chicks so make sure you have enough room for them as they grow. The brooder should give them at least a 1/2 square foot per chick.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on raising your new brood along with all the other aspects of keeping poultry...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy your new babies!! If you have any other questions about them, feel free to ask around the forums.

Welcome to our flock!

gonna check that link out right now. thanks

the first chicks are 3 days old, and the new ones should be no more than 4 days old when I get them. I should have them by tomorrow or thursday at the latest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom