new to chickens

jonniesue

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
Iam looking forward to our new additions to our animal family. Iam wondering if we need to do any vaccinations and if so when. Thank you in advance for any information :)

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

When we ordered our last batch of chicks, we requested they do the coccidiosis and a mereks vaccinations. One reason we asked the hatchery to do the vaccinations was because they need to be done within 1-3 days (I believe) of hatching. And I didn't want to try doing it on such a small animal (I've given injections to dogs & horses before but not tiny chicks).

What breeds of chickens are you getting? Share some photos with us if you would like, those are always fun to see.

Good luck to you with your new flock!

Welcome to BYC! :frow

When we ordered our last batch of chicks, we requested they do the coccidiosis and a mereks vaccinations. One reason we asked the hatchery to do the vaccinations was because they need to be done within 1-3 days (I believe) of hatching. And I didn't want to try doing it on such a small animal (I've given injections to dogs & horses before but not tiny chicks).

What breeds of chickens are you getting? Share some photos with us if you would like, those are always fun to see.

Good luck to you with your new flock!
We are looking into getting Barred rocks or Welsummer from a privare breeder, so I should ask if those vaccinations were given? Do they have to be given every year? Thanks for the info

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, There is a nice article in the Learning Center on vaccination basics, it has links to the Merck's manual vaccination programs https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickens-vaccines-and-you Because of the expense and how hard it is to get hold of some of the vaccines, most people with more or less closed backyard flocks do not vaccinate beyond Marek's (which should be given to day old chicks so is usually given by the hatchery/breeder) The Coccidia vaccine is usually also only used by commercial hatcheries, most people use the medicated feed (or nothing) and just treat if they have an outbreak... other vaccines are usually only given if they know they have a problem in the area (check with the poultry department of the state university if you don't have a vet or extension agent who does poultry) or if they show (birds have a higher chance of being exposed to things)and/ or if they have valuable birds. The different vaccines need to be given at different times/ ages and different numbers of times... some only need to be given once, some have a series, some need to be repeated.

Thank you Kelsie 2290 for all the useable information :) I sure do appreciate it and am sure that I'll have more questions before long

Back
Top Bottom